Sunday, November 29, 2009

Is it still raining?? {portraits}

As promised, this is the second post of my Mini Holiday Sessions. This particular session was almost canceled due to weather.

All week long I searched for the perfect family location in a strange town. I found a few, but none just right. The day before we were scheduled to photograph, I noticed a field. Its a field right across the street from my parents house. It's one we played in growing up, rode bikes in since our road was only half paved. I suppose when you see things every day, they start to loose their amazement. There used to be an old building in this field, that was long ago torn down, although the piles of cinder block and old tires that people have dumped still lay. I noticed an old patch of trees that could possibly make a great back drop. (Note to self...remember this spot, it could come in handy)

The weather was beautiful all week, and then it hit. The rain started Thanksgiving day and seemed to not let up. I had set up a session with a woman I went to High School with and her family. I don't remember Jennifer and I as friends back then, but she was always nice. I was always too quiet. I didn't make friends easily. We reconnected on Facebook, and I enjoy getting her updates and comments. She now lives away from our old town, as do I, but both of us were going to be visiting family for the holidays back home.

It was perfect, except for that rain. Maybe it will let up?? In the early hours of the morning, I was awoke by the loud rain pouring down on the shed outside. My stomach turned as I knew I was going to have to cancel with Jennifer, even though everything else had worked out so perfectly.

Well, long story short, we actually did cancel, it had dumped rain all night, and everything was wet, and gloomy, definitely NOT picture weather.

After a long talk that morning, we decided to postpone and hope we can make our schedules work again. I was bummed....

About 10 minutes later, the sun started to peek thru the trees, drying the ground fast then a hairdryer. I called Jennifer back, pushed the session back an hour and hoped the weather would hold.

Well, as you may already know, it did hold. In fact, the photos are some of my favorites. The vivid colors and light in that field were this amazing combination of perfection. I had such a great time with this family. They were fun and willing to do anything I asked. They even sat on a pile of old junk, cinderblock and rotting tires. But that's what it takes to get a fun and different family photo. Thank you Alvarez family for a great morning, and thanks for tromping around in some wet ground with me!

IMG_9744
IMG_9750

IMG_9764

IMG_9772

IMG_9779

IMG_9798

IMG_9828 2

IMG_9876 2

IMG_9852 2

IMG_9888 2

No comments:

Post a Comment