Thursday, March 25, 2010

What would the world do with out sisters...{personal}

When I was young I always wanted sisters. I was the only girl in my family of three children, and as many teen girls anyways feel, NO ONE UNDERSTOOD ME!

I wished I had someone to tell secrets too, someone to get fashion advice from, or someone to tell me all the secrets I needed to know to have a "normal" youth, when it came to boys. This unfortunately is something I was not blessed with.

At my next stage of life I wished for girls, baby girls, two in fact. They were going to be best friends who got along ridiculously well, tell each other everything and look as sweet as ever in their matching outfits.

What on earth was I thinking...I did get the two girls, but best friends is not what I have. They are complete opposites. Both unique and fun in their own ways. Through what used to be the source of constant heart break for me, something at one point in my life, I wasn't sure I would actually live through, I inherited two "other" girls.

Taylors father graced with world with a "few" children. Taylor being the oldest, she also has two younger sisters, and now a brother, from her father.

In the beginning, it was hard. There were two other girls with his same eyes, and in your face similarities to my baby. I could look into their tiny faces as see more of "him" in them then I could see in my own daughter. (Now this is a blessing, I will admit, that she resembles me more than him)

I will tell you that it was a tough year. What I came to realize is that these same tiny faces, that resembled "him" didn't ask to be here, they didn't ask to be put in the middle of a mess, and what's "normal" these days anyway?

So, my oldest daughter now has three sisters, two of which don't live with us, and a brother she's never met, but technically, these three children are as much a part of her as Kaci, and should not be treated any less.

We are not perfect about the visits, but try often to see them. They are two of the sweetest kids you'll meet, and they both absolutely, undoubtedly love their sister.

I received a call a few weeks ago from Breyanna, the older of the two. She's six, missing most of her teeth, and in the sweetest heartbreaking voice says this...

"Um, Tambi....I miss my sister, and I have the calendar in front of me with a few dates picked out. I'm wandering if you can find time to come see me in the next month or two?"

What kind of a S*&%$ would I be if I didn't pick the soonest date, rearrange a few plans and go see these two??

We spent a little over 24 hours with the girls, and while it doesn't seem like a lot, it was a jam packed 24 hours. Breyanna asked for something for when she misses her sister. What better than a video, where those far away seem closer than they are, and at times if you close you eyes real tight, it might even feel like they are right there. That a hug can happen at any minute and you can literally hear that giggly little laugh.
Video


So, after 5 years of loving two little beings, and having those tiny little things crawl up on my lap and snuggle themselves to sleep, all of the hurt just melts away. It doesn't matter anymore that I didn't end up with the "normal" family I thought I needed. All that matters is letting a bunch of silly, energetic, crazy girls; some with the same feet, or the same color eyes, or the same silly laughs be sisters, no matter what. To love each other and know that it's OK.

My hope is that one day, when they are older and close, despite the distance that they grew up from each other, that the secrets will be told, the fashion advice will be given and that Taylor will feel some connection to her other half. While it's a joy to be a part of their lives, and let them into ours, 24 hours is sometimes enough for me to remember that possibly I'm out of practice. More than possibly, I AM out of practice. The car seats and multiple trips to the bathroom, the constant hunger and naps that need to happen. I'm used to my flighty lifestyle where I can, at the drop of a hat, do what I want, when I want, where I want, and how I want.

But for 24 hours, or maybe a week, we'll give all of that up for a big ol' Breyanna/ Zoe hug!
<span class=
<span class=

1 comment: