Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Some teachers are actually angels in disguise....{portrait}

When I was in fourth grade I had the most amazing teacher. Miss Hildebrandt. (I think that's how you spell it) I remember she was beautiful and kind and when things were falling apart on the playground, she was always there to make us feel better. Of all of my early childhood education, this is the teacher that sticks out in my mind. I think of her fondly even today and when my children were young, I dreamed they would find their own "Miss Hildebrandt"

It was about a year after we had moved to Bend. Life was rough, and the girls, especially Taylor, were suffering from all of the drama that centered around her father. Her first day at yet another new school, she was not all to thrilled.

Taylor's special "Miss H" came in the package of "Bettina". A tiny and vibrant little thing, with silver hair and a personality that makes you love her the moment you lay eyes on her. I instantly fell in love with this woman, and rightfully so. She has the most beautiful spirit I have ever seen in another human. She's modest and honestly does not do it for the glory. She completely and honestly loves each of her students individually.

That year especially I thank God for bringing Bettina in our lives. She made changes in Taylor that i never thought I would see. She brought out the wild personality, and sparkle in her eyes that the prior years had robbed her of.

Everyone at our small little school knows Bettina, she is somewhat of an Icon in the Amity halls. Not that all the other teachers go unloved, in fact they are the best group of educational professionals I have ever met. There is just something special about this one.

Taylor was lucky enough to have Bettina one more year before her journey of Elementary school ended. This time, it's Kaci's turn.

I'm so happy for her that she gets to experience a year of school with such a great woman. It will changer her...she's just a bit more stubborn than Taylor and taking a little longer to see the fruit.

This is a woman, by most that meet her, that will be remembered for years to come. One that they will look upon fondly for knowing her, and make these same people better for just having walked the same halls as her.

If you think I'm putting too much pressure on this amazing lady, just ask the hundreds of other mothers in school, and the thousands before us....I am confident they will say the same thing.

Bettina is one of those teachers that honestly does it, not for the glory, or the paycheck, but simply to make a difference. I feel honored to have met her, and have our family be a part of hers.

All of that to say, I had the pleasure of photographing Bettina last week for a photo contest. It's a seniors, over 50, photo contest. I sat in a room with Bettina and another school Mom who happened to be there. We all just had a conversation. We talked about the kids a little, we enjoyed a few laughs, and I just watched. I watched what happened when you got her talking about her kids. These are not the kids she gave birth to, but the hundreds of kids that walk through her door and touch her life each year. They are the same kids she remembers fondly for years to come, and the kids that she loves with everything she has.

Whether I win or not, It was a pleasure to spend time with her, and just be in her presence. She has a spirit that speaks louder than any other I know. We enjoyed a glass on wine together, and all the while she is talking, she is lighting up that whole room. If nothing else, I am honored to be able to give her something...everyone deserves to have a photo of themselves. One that reaches in a captures their soul, their inner person, their true self. It's a rare moment in time when the walls come down, and people relax enough to get exactly who they are....and this lady my friends, is one of the most beautiful women I have ever met.

This one I think is my favorite. It's beautiful and quiet. It's all about the eyes here.

<span class=
This is a big Bettina laugh. You can hear it ringing down the halls and guaranteed, you will start to laugh too....it's contagious.
<span class=

This is the one I call her kid face. This is just the way she looks at all of her kids. It's the look they get when you know she's interested in what they are saying...even if it's about the loose tooth they had three months ago.
<span class=

1 comment:

  1. Bettina was my teacher in elementary school as well, I think you caught her perfectly in your pictures. I also appreciate every word you wrote about her. She is a beautiful woman inside and out.

    ReplyDelete