Monday, October 12, 2009

Feelin' the LOVE {portrait}

One of the best parts of my job is making a difference in a families life. Some people don't understand the importance of a good photo, whether it's an esteem booster....cause you look AWESOME!, a snapshot of life at that very moment, or a memory that is most important once someone is gone.....I LOVE what I do.

I had the pleasure of photographing my daughters school this year. REALMS is great about supporting local businesses and the students were stoked to have at least a possibility of a great photo...finally. No offense to the "typical" school photographers....but some are a little corny, and I know my daughters always dread to hand them out.

So, for two days I hung out with a bunch of middle schoolers, waiting for the "right" smile, the one that Mom will be proud to hand out to Grandma and Grandpa and proudly display on the wall. Let me just mention, there were a few kids that this was NOT an easy task...but I was not giving up, and we did it!

I finally finished the edits and scrambled to get everything on the online album. (Hopefully blowing the parents away with my abilities) The email with a link was sent out only yesterday. Since then I have had over 50 hits, and a flood of emails, and compliments from parents. One specifically hit me hard. I was so blessed by this fathers words, I just had to share....

Good Morning! Tambi!
I just got home from printing the newspaper and was offered your link from Amy for school pictures. Alizabeth looks amazing so much so that I teared up, that type of emotion had to be THANKED asap!!!! You have absolutly made my day and I THANK YOU so very much. I can't even express just how much that picture touched me, this was needed so very badly today! My girl is my world and I feel like you captured me a star to help light it
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH I hope you have a great day...
Jay Ecker

I remember being in Middle school, what a terrible time it was. It's the moment when your life can take a drastic change in direction, in the way of esteem. Today all these young girls are bombarded with images of beautiful women, who DONT look like them, aren't even real, and they think "something is wrong with me"

I have a daughter this age, and I see how confident she is compared to me at 13, for this I'am so grateful. Maybe she won't have to struggle with this like I did. It still effects decisions I make for myself, and I'm still comparing myself at times to "those" girls I see everywhere. Taylor is different, although she's anxiously awaiting the day when her "baby fat" as he puts it is finally gone.

This is another reason why the Boudoir photography has become so fun for me. I take these "normal" beautiful women, some who hate having photos taken, and with tricks of lighting and posing, give them beautiful photos. I've had women leave their sessions in tears at the way they felt, how liberating the experience was, and most leave with a new appreciation for the body they were given.

I'm so excited for Alizabeth, and all the other students who have a great photo of themselves to proudly display this year, or hand out a million and one wallets to all their friends. I wish I had had that one photo of myself when I was that age, the one that made me feel beautiful too. If you think I'm putting to much into a simple photo...you try being 13 and see how you feel too.

REALMS 3
REALMS 5
REALMS 4
REALMS 2
REALMS 1

2 comments:

  1. This post made my eyes get a little watery! I DO remember middle school very well & I TOTALLY get what you are saying. Those years have the potential to break a girl for years to come. Gosh, to think back to my school photos at that time - ugh!!!! What you have done for these kids & their families is a wonderful thing! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Alot of people have made comments and it's gotten me quite a bit of work this week. (always a good thing) There are always the families that arent' happy, which I tend to take way to personally, so I have to go back and keep reading the good comments. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete