Saturday, August 29, 2009

Glued to my hip {Family}

It was the first day of 7th grade. My best friend had just moved away, I was starting a new school...a HUGE new school, the kind with lockers and hallways, and 7 different teachers. I was nervous...I knew no one.

I can't remember which class it was, maybe homeroom, it was towards the beginning of the day. (I think, it's hard to remember back this far) There sat, in the desk across the isle from me, the tiniest little blond girl. She was so cute. She said hello, we talked...her best friend had just moved too. I remember it was from that very moment, we hit it off. I liked her...she was funny, sweet, and she became glued to my hip. WE became glued to each others hips.

Her name was Lori, we did everything together, for at least all of Jr. High and into High School. I practically lived at her house, her parents I called Mom and Dad, I had the biggest crush on her older brother. I don't remember a single memory of that time without Lori attached to it.

Time went by, lots of fun was had, and because of another girl who we'll just say "invaded my territory" we began to fall apart. I was well into high school at this point, and people change any way. It's not like we hated each other, we just didn't hang out much. Time went by we saw less and less of each other, but Lori has never been far. We have one very good mutual friend who does a great job at keeping everyone connected.

Thankfully she just got married, and Lori and I saw each other again. It was great to see her, and laugh again. I remember why I liked her so much. After seeing Lani's wedding photos, I am pleased to say Lori was blown away and asked if I'd come spend some time with her family and do the same.

What was going to be a quick trip to Salem, ended up being almost a week, of visiting a few different friends, and spending 2 days with Lori, and her family. We had the best time.

Of course we pulled out the old yearbooks, and laughed like silly little high school girls. Thanks Matt ( her boyfriend) for putting up with us. You are wonderful! I got a chance to know him, and see why Lori loves this boy. He's a wonderful dad to their two babies, and her older two children. They are both very hospitable. Lori has grown into a wonderful cook. We were so spoiled there, and the bed was so comfy, I wasn't sure I wanted to leave.

She lives across the street from another friend of mine as well, so that was even better. I hope the two of them find a friendship from each other. They are both strong wonderful women.

It was exciting walking down memory lane last week, (we even checked out people from FB, to see what they are up too). We laughed, we cried, (but only tears of joy from all the laughing...we REALLY laughed) and I hope that Lori and I can continue to stay in touch this time. She's still that tiny cute little blonde I remember from a hundred years ago, and I love being reminded why you loved people once.

Thank you Lori and Matt for everything. I'm so happy you love your photos! I hope we can do it again soon. Maybe next time my house?? We'll send Matt golfing??

IMG_4364
IMG_4398
IMG_4597
IMG_4795
IMG_4711
IMG_4624
IMG_4329
IMG_4296
IMG_4252

2 comments:

  1. They are a really cute family! Great job on the photographs. Does she have 2 sets of twins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one...the other two look so much alike, and I think they are maybe only 1 1/2 yrs apart.

    ReplyDelete