Monday, April 5, 2010

Guest Blogger.....Lori {products}



My hopes is that every so often I can take advantage of all of my wonderful knowledgeable friends and let them tell you , in their own words, what I hear from them. Our first guest blogger is Lori, she's a wiz at the organic beauty products. I'm always calling Lori when I'm in the market for new makeup or am having any kind of skin problems, and let me tell you....she always knows the answer.

makeup




What's Going On? Baby products should be safe, not Toxic!*

So you've heard all this hype about chemicals in your bath and beauty products, it's caught your attention... but seriously, could it really be that bad? Yes my friends, it is...

What am I talking about here? People, this is serious! Did you know that only 11 percent of the ingredients in personal care products are tested for safety? How many products do you use in a day, a week, a year? How about your children? Toxic chemicals are hiding in your products, and accumulating in your body with each and every use! Sometimes these chemicals are not disclosed on product labels because they're contaminants, not ingredients, and therefore are exempt from labeling laws!
We're talking about carcinogens (proven cancer causing chemicals) in our babies shampoo, lead in our lipstick (they've taken it out of paint and put it in lipstick!? Hello??), and neurotoxins (chemicals that are toxic to the brain) in our fragrances... chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and other health problems... and that's just scraping the surface!* (Read more about "Why This Matters" at http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/research/whythismatters.php


This is not my opinion. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics "is a coalition effort launched in 2004 to protect the health of consumers and workers by securing the corporate, regulatory and legislative reforms necessary to eliminate dangerous chemicals from cosmetics and personal care products".* (Check out www.safecosmetics.org


So, you're concerned, you want to rid yourself of these products, but you don't know where to start? Well, let me tell you that it takes a lot of time and effort to educate yourself on these issues. I have researched claims, products, companies, ingredients, and so on. I have spent hours upon hours deciding what absolutely needs to be avoided, what is safe, and what is hyped up. I have been able to find trustworthy companies with exceptional products to fit every budget. I would love to share what I know with you!

What to keep, what not to keep...

Look at the ingredients, my number one red flag is a list of things I cant pronounce. Take label warnings seriously, they indicate hazardous chemicals.
The top ingredients to avoid
are mercury, lead, Formaldehyde (will appear as Formalin, quaternium, & Urea (imidazolidinyl and Diazolidinyl)), synthetic fragrances also listed as BHT, isoeugenol, cinnamal, companies also hide dangerous chemicals behind the simple word "fragrance"), Hydroquinone (skin lightener), nano particles (Nano...), phthalates (also listed as DBP, DEP, DEHP BzBP, DMP), triclosan & triclocarban, sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG's & -eths (e.g. names with PEG and eth in them, e.g. "laureth", "PEG-20")), triethanolamine, methylchloroisothiazolinone or methylisothiazolinone, Parabens http://www.organicconsumers.org/bodycare/breastcancer090604.cfm (Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl, etc), 1,4-dioxane, selenium sulfide, coal tar and coal tar colors (Includes FD&C and D & C colors, especially blue 1 and green 3.), toluene, any word containing "phenyl...", resorcinol, hydroquinone, BHA, thimerosal, aluminum powder/Starch/ Octenylsuccinate, petroleum byproducts...*

So, that's not too hard to remember, right? Just avoid the above ingredients. Write them down or print them out. Look through all of your products, check the ingredient lists. When you go shopping bring your list and read every label... I know, crazy, right?! Well, that's just what I did.

When I started turning over products and reading labels, I ended up with an empty makeup bag, a bare bathroom, and a garbage bag full of products. Then I thought, shoot I have nothing left, and not enough money to buy more stuff. Well, most of the stores I buy from guarantee their products, so seeing as how I was not satisfied, I returned what I could. With a little help from "The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics", I included a letter to each of the companies, stating my dissatisfaction with their products. I also asked them to commit to manufacturing safer cosmetics. Let me just say that Victoria's Secret is the one of the number one companies and brands of concern on the Cosmetics Safety Database. They were my first stop.
(Want to check your favorite products or brands? Check out www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Just tell me what to buy...

S
eriously, who has time to read labels? I really don't either! However, when something grabs my attention like this does, I simply cannot ignore it! I HAVE to find out more information, more FACTS! Then, I either dismiss it (if it's just a bunch of hype), or address it. I just have this "thing"... I get passionate about something and it utterly consumes me! But hey, now all of you can benefit from my hours of research! You just want to grab it and go, right?! I've got oodles of recommendations for you, but let's just start with a few reputable companies...

100% Pure www.100percentpure.co
m
Aubrey Organics
Almay Pure Blends (Pure Blends ONLY)
Avalon Organics
Alba
Afterglow Cosmetics www.afterglowcosmetics.com

BareMinerals www.bareescentuals.com
Beauty Without Cruelty
Burts Bees
California Baby
Desert Essence
Dr. Bronner's
Dr. Weil
Earth's Best
Giovanni
Jane Iredale www.janeiredale.com

Jason Natural Cosmetics
Juice Beauty
Kiss My Face
Lily of the Desert
Miessense http://www.miorganicproducts.com

Mill Creek
MyChelle http://www.mychelle.com/

Nature's Baby Organics
Origins www.origins.com

Physicians Formula Organic Wear (Organic Wear ONLY)
Rainbow
Shea Terra Organics www.sheaterraorganics.com

Shikai
Spry
Toms of Maine
Weleda

So, now you're enlightened...

I know, I know, you're overwhelmed, right?! I was too at first, and the quote "ignorance is bliss"... no, no, don't think like that! You want to be informed, you want safe products, you and your precious family deserve the best! Don't waste your money on cheaply made products, full of toxic cancer causing chemicals! Hey, I'm going to make it easy for you to clean out your closet, er makeup bag! Your skin will feel better, look better, and you will BE healthier once you rid yourself of these toxins! Now go on, toss it out!

I will be working on an organized list of my favorite products and brands with prices for every budget. That way, when you need something, you can check this out and know what to buy! Look for it in the next newsletter!

~Lori

*This information is provided by the following:

The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics www.safecosmetics.org <http://www.safecosmetics.org>
Skin Deep's Cosmetics Safety Database www.cosmeticsdatabase.com <http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com>
The Breast Cancer Fund www.breastcancerfund.org <http://www.breastcancerfund.org>
Think Before You Pink (A project of Breast Cancer Action) http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/
Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org <http://www.ewg.org>
Organic Consumers Association http://www.organicconsumers.org/



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE JUICE BEAUTY!!! I've tried their Organics to Clear Skin kit and it's amazing! The cleansing gel is gentle on my face but I still feel that "clean" feeling we all love after I use it. Try this kit! IT WORKS!

    ReplyDelete