Wednesday, March 30, 2011

There's always room for improvement

I have been playing around with some new editing software this week.   I found one of my favorite photos from a session over a year ago.  First off, a little disclaimer. 

"I do not condone smoking,  I think it's a bit of a nasty habit, but....this vintage pin-up photo lends itself nicely to the old cigarette.  So we went with it."

The "Old Version" looked great, everyone loved it.  The client was happy and at the time, I didn't know how to improve on it.  Even when I pulled it up this morning I thought, "It's not THAT bad"  Until I decided to redo the old fav and see what this new software could do.  I started from scratch.  I applied all of my "new steps" and was astonished at the outcome.

I do believe you must start out with a great base, in photography that means a good eye.  You need creativity, know how and you must know composition.  A great camera and the right equipment are also part of the equation.  But editing tools, the RIGHT editing tools, can take your so-so photos and turn them into something wonderful.  


For all of us out there, professionals and enthusiasts alike, go back, pick some of your oldies out and redo them.  I am amazed at the how far I have come in a year.  There's always room for improvement, which is great so none of us get burnt out.  Im excited to see where I am in another year.  How much more I have learned, new techniques, if the style has changed. 

I am a constant evolution, in certain ways always reinventing myself, and that's Ok with me.  There is always room for improvement, in every aspect of our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment